Tuesday, February 19, 2013

The Seen Unseen

Four years in the making all came down to Saturday night. Senior night, the last home game of my senior year on the team, and I hope you didn't think I was going to miss it. Saturday started off with my PBS interview which went amazing. Ali and the crew were awesome and they loved my family. Once that was finished I got soooooo excited because it was my last home game. That game was everything I needed to say the least. Honestly Bowie State was not my choice school. I really wanted to go to Jackson State in Mississippi, but I was in love with my boyfriend at the time, and I essentially missed out on the opportunity. My best friend also missed out on her opportunity to go to her dream school so we both settled on Bowie. We were roomies while I lived on campus so it wasn't half bad. Any who back to the story, my decision to cheer at Bowie was solely because I had nothing better to do. Let's be honest I didn't even want to go to the school.

My very first practice was ridiculous I was lost and confused and I knew this was going to be a little harder than I anticipated. The CIAA style of cheerleading with it's stomping and shaking was something I had not done prior to that first practice. Everyone was looking at me like who is this chick with two knee braces on. It was a mess. The rest of the summer practices were dedicated to learning cheers, dances and working on stunts for camp. We were the newbies and everybody knew it. We were paired up with big sisters who were to help guide us along the way. Although they were to guide us we really had to stick together to make it. As tradition stood we remained newbies for the summer and the preparations for us to become Bowie State University Golden Girls would begin along with the school year. We were innocent individuals that learned to become a confident unit. We began to move together as one and truly became sisters. We made mistakes along the way but the difference between us and many other teams is the way we worked through them and created bonds so strong that soon petty drama bounced off of us. Our big sisters on the team pushed us so hard we were only destined for greatness, and that's what the past 4 years of cheerleading really was, Greatness.

We were Golden Girls who had persevered through and overcame all obstacles that stood in front of us. We love each other, whole hearted love each other. I know for fact I can call any of my sisters that came in with me for anything. Senior night was the last time we were going to be together on the court, and I can truly say it was the best night we have ever had on the court. I cheered my little heart out and I tumbled too. During the senior presentation I cried because I have truly grown to love these girls and I truly am going to miss the memories we created cheering. However cheering that night gave me something I needed. Adrenaline the rush of controlling the crowd with cheering and dancing. Oh and when I tumbled I had the crowd loving me once again like the did before. Saturday night I proved everyone wrong.

Cancer will not stop me, and chemotherapy will not hinder me. Cheering on Saturday night showed everyone how strong I am. From newbies, to copperheads, to becoming Golden Girls I love me sisters. The Seen Unseen we were named, which humbled us all the same. Nothing will ever compare to my GG sisters the love we share can never be broken, and I truly had the best night I've had in the longest time.


XOXO,
Marecya





Follow Me Here

1 comment:

  1. WOW what an amazing stoey. You have been blessed in sooo many ways with so many extraordinary relationships. I am so proud of you Marecya. You are an inspiration amd quite the writer. I couldnt open this blog yesterday for some reason but today it did...guess today I needed to read it. Love, hugs and kisses.

    ReplyDelete