Friday, January 4, 2013

But of course, something else happened.

April 5, 2012 I was scheduled to have surgery at 5 pm. I was going to have a laparotomy right salpingo-oophorectomy in english I was going to have my right ovary removed and cut horizontal across my bikini line. All those extra letters for nothing. So the day before my surgery I began my liquid diet, and while I ate 2 scrambled eggs with salt and pepper, however my dad cooks a breakfast of champions for himself. I'm talking eggs, sausage, grits and toast...selfish right yeah it was, I would just like to say for the record I was really in my feelings over breakfast, but that was nothing compared to my feelings on the bowl prep I had to begin later that day not to worry I've decided to spare you the details of that. The next morning I showered with this horrible soap that did nothing for my skin but leave me dry, itchy and very ashy. After I arrived to the hospital and signed my life away my mom and sister kept me company until surgery when my dad came back to see me we had family prayer, I was given something to relax me the last thing I remember I was being wheeled down the hallway for surgery.

My first memory waking up in the recovery room asking for my sister (for some reason I tend to do this every time I am put under anesthesia) When I woke up my mom told me the mass was bening that was by far the best news I herd in my life. I stayed in the hospital for the next two days and then was discharged to go home. Going home was by far the worst thing EVER! I expressed to my mom thoroughly how I had so much respect for her because after she had her C-sections she actually took care of my sister and I,while all I did after my laparotomy was whine about the pain. Two weeks later I went for my follow up, a routine follow up appointment after my surgery, or so I thought. When my surgeon entered the exam room he examined my incision told me it was healing well and I was liking what he was saying. "Now onto the pathology report" he said, and for some reason I got queasy. Dr. Steren said my tumor the one they originally said was bening was actually found to be cancerous and they needed to send it to the tumor board at John Hopkins University Hospital to rate my tumor that was now cancerous. In two weeks the results came in and they were not in my favor. The tumor was in fact cancerous but it was in it's first stage, because of my age and the stage of the tumor my treatment was more so monitoring than invasive. I was to get blood work every month, CT scans every 6 months and pelvic exams every 6 months. It didn't sound too bad, so I didn't mind it.

Over the next few weeks I felt like I was losing my mind thinking how could this be happening to me, what did I ever do to deserve this and why would my life ever be ruined with cancer. It was hard to cope with everything that was happening to me but the more I was moving around and getting out and about my life began slowly bouncing back, and i was feeling much more like myself. I started hanging out with my friends again and being bubbly Marecya once again. My birthday was July 6th I turned 21 and decided to take my talents to Atlantic City and boy did I enjoy myself, I will put it like this the entire car ride home on Sunday was filling in my memory lapses. Needless to say my entire summer was spent in good company and living for the nights I couldn't remember, making memories with the people I couldn't forget. The summer came to a smooth close and the Fall 2012 semester started and I was amped up and ready for the year. It was my senior year, and you couldn't tell me I wasn't going to thoroughly enjoy every bit of it. Nobody knew how short lived my happiness would be including myself.

Follow Me Here

No comments:

Post a Comment